riskinit.org logo
Technology is the term we use for things that don't quite work yet.
VW Key
VW Key

Volkswagon, Volkswagen, VW, Beetle, Jetta…ok that should feed the search engines enough variations =P

Ok, need to replace the battery on your VW Key fob? Or need to replace the metal keychain thingy on it? VW will charge you a fortune for either…I made a page a few years back on my personal web page thats pretty popular, so I decided time for some update pictures and add the fix for the broken keychain…

Check out Ralph’s comments for the newer model below!!!
Enjoy the savings!

14 responses to “Volkswagen Key Disassembly”

1. Heidi says:

Any idea how to change out the switchblade part? Thanks for any help…

2. Monkey says:

thanks for posting this info. Your instructions were clear and worked perfectly. Nice site too.

3. Rob says:

VW dealers have been telling people in my area not to replace the battery themselves because it needs to be synched with the alarm system by VW. I should have known that they were lying. Your directions worked perfectly. Thanks.

4. Rigel says:

nice instructions for taking the key apart. I have a slightly different question. The power unlock on my keychain has stopped working. I do have another key that doesn’t go to my car, however and I believe the power buttons on it work fine. Can I change any of the parts between the two keys in order to get a key and power buttons that works for my jetta?

5. Phil says:

Thanks alot for the help, I knew I’d be dropping some cash going to the dealership. Appreciate it!

6. Doug says:

Opening the key fob is made easier by using a staple remover (the type that has four little teeth) to grab onto the metal band on the fob. Just tried this here in my office after an unsuccesful attempt to open it without any tools.

7. Jim Pettit says:

I appreciate the step by step instructions and the savings of time and money. Good job!!

8. Ralph says:

Thanks for the pics & advice. Just a head’s up that the newest fobs (mine’s a 2005) are slightly different.

To tell them apart, look at the LED: The older style you describe has a RED led by the trunk lock button, the newer ones have a GREEN led by the silver key release button.

On the new ones, the battery comes out much easier. Just pry-up the 1/2 cover below the VW logo.

But there’s a trick to taking the new one completely apart: You’ll see 2 small screws once you take the battery cover off, but the 3rd screw is hinding under the VW decal. (carefully pry the decal out with an exacto knife) Once all 3 screws are out, it comes appart easily.

Note: I accidentally took mine for a swim in the ocean. (doh!)I figured it was toast, but for $160 I thought I’d try to fix it anyway. Luckily VW used hermeticly sealed switches and waterproofed the most sensitive bits of the PCB.

I scrubbed the salt and oxide off with a toothbrush and lots of fresh water, put in a new battery and it actually worked!

9. TONY R says:

Thanks. Very helpful. Pictures even!!!

10. Megan R says:

Wonderful, thank you. We were panicking as all the garages around us are closed for the weekend and we needed to drive to the airport tomorrow to go on holiday!

11. Ascii King says:

You rock! Thanks for this help. I was unwilling to spend a lot of money getting the battery replaced when I knew that ultimately it was a simple thing to do. Very nice using the pictures. It makes everything easier.

12. john says:

I need a key fob battery replacement for my 99 VW Bettle. Do you have any idea where I can purchase one? The dealer wants and arm and leg to buy a new one?

13. EcoFuel says:

Your instructions worked P-E-R-F-E-C-T-L-Y, thank you! Ane the part about requiring synching (according to VW) was in fact not true. Once th ebattery was replaced, the transmitter worked A-OK. This is on a 2006 TDI, just so you know what year/model.

Many thanks!

14. Marginal says:

Thank you very much for the helpful information.
    Also, thanks to Ralph for the info on opening the other model key fob.
    Now I need instructions on opening a third model of VW key fobs, the ones that have a FCC ID: NBG010180T and a metal pin on the side (where folds the key blade).
    I tried pushing it in without success …
    Anyone?